Table of contents

 FGT #9 recovery page 1      
After at least two years of frustration, My FGT was finally collected in a marathon effort in April 2004, thanks to Euan and Max. It is now safely (temporarily) stored under cover at Max Hedges' farm in Yass.
The deal called for a direct swap of the F15A for the FGT (minus wheels), so the first challenge was to somehow transport the F15A to it's new owner in Little Hartley at the foot of the Blue Mountains. This feat was achieved with a solid tow on an A bar with the GMC. Before travel, I removed the front driveshaft and the rear axle shafts to minimise the number of turning components. The truck followed us like a happy puppy, with an invisible ghost turning the steering, keeping perfect pace with us.
The GMC's 454 cubic inch big block Chev engine was equal to the task and pulled the Ford along at around 100 km/h Breakfast stop in Benalla, a couple of hours out of Melbourne.
The morning after we reached Yass we backed the Ford onto Max's Mitsubishi farm truck. This truck is the veteran of over 25 CMP recoveries, and although hills are a challenge, it took us to from Yass to Little Hartley in about 7 hours.
After a break visiting the Cowra Military Museum we stopped in Blaymey fo lunch. After swapping wheels we were loaded and ready to go at Little Hartley around 6.30PM.
Dinner stop was at Bathurst. Although the load looks top heavy it reeally wasn't too bad because we had good tyre pressures in the FGT and it was very securely lashed down.
Fuel stop near Bathurst. The Mitsubishi Diesel returned a reasonably good fuel economy of about 10 miles per gallon with this load. We arrived back at Yass at about 1.45AM. The next morning saw us offloading with an appropriate vehicle in Max's Carrier.
The search for the serial numbers. There were at least seven coats of paint to negotiate, and, surprisingly the serial number wasn't where it is usually found, instead being painted diagonally, once in large stencil and the second hand painted after a vehicle repaint. The number is 134855.

There were traces of red, white and yellow, presumably from it's days serving the Shell garage in Blackheath in the Blue Mountains. The original owner is still around. He bought the truck from disposals and cut it down to fit the crane. The original rear body then sat in a shed undisturbed until the mid-80s when it went for scrap in a garage cleanup.

On to page 2