Table of contents
|This is the second 6 wheel CMP type. The former was a Ford product, and was basically a 4X4 with a trailing axle, which appeared in cab 11, 12 and 13 variants.
Operationally though it was found to be underpowered and was also inferior in cross-country performance. Ford prototyped a V12 version but this was rejected.
General Motors in Canada undertook the development of a more powerful replacement, resulting in the C60X, prototyped in 1941 using the cab 12, but all production versions were cab 13.
Australia received some 468 chassis, and built two basic types. The first was the "Truck, Breakdown No4 Aust", and the second batch were built as aircraft refuellers for the RAAF.
These vehicles were powered by the GMC 270 engine sourced from GM in Michigan, although the Chevrolet 4 speed transmission was used, unlike the GMC CCKW series which had a 5 speed gearbox. This engine delivered 125 BHP as opposed to the standard 216 cubic inch which produced 85 BHP.
They used the 21 gallon fuel tanks as found on CGT and FGT field artillery tractor variants.
|GM Factory photographs from Canada showing cab/chassis and a workshop version.||Undergoing testing at the GM proving ground at Oshawa in early 1942.|
|Pilot model cab/chassis supplied to General-Motors Holdens who built their own cabs for the production run. Note the Wireless prototype in the background.|
|This interesting conversion of a Breakdown No4 was built by the Australian Post Master Generals Department in the 1950s. The base of the original body can be seen with the side rollers at lower rear. The Breakdown No4 was equipped with a 15000 lb Servex winch as distinct from the rest of the CMP range which used the 7000 lb Ford designed winch.
The record books held by the AWM list a C60X being disposed of to the PMG - one being ARN 142328 engine number 270164181 and serial 8660M00052. It may have been this very truck.
|Data plate for a Breakdown No4, designated WO 85 by the manufacturer. This is a steel plate. These were all assembled in Melbourne, denoted by the "M" in the serial. This is truck no. 40, built on November 1st, 1944. Note the 270 engine number prefix, denoting the GMC 270 engine.|
|A brass data plate from a different C60X, also a Breakdown No4, the 112th built (see pics below).||Australian brass nomenclature plate.|
|Possibly the only intact Breakdown No4 is at the Melbourne Tank Museum, owned by John Belfield. These trucks wore a square GM badge in place of the Chevrolet bowtie.
These pictures were taken in 2004.
Many of these were disposed of to the State Electricity Commission in the 1950s.
This vehicle was sold in the auction in 2006.
|John bought body and truck separately from drilling contractors WL Sides and reunited them. There is a large timber dogbox behind the cab. The next box is for the spare tyre.
See also images taken outside the museum in 2005.
|To survivors in the 1970s|